Gorgeous Paper Crafts: 18 Card Making Ideas, Scrapbook Layouts, and DIY Paper Flowers
45+ Handmade Card Ideas: How to Make Greeting Cards
Homemade cards are the sweetest way to show someone you care.
We are adding the craft to your Crafts.
The craft was added to your Crafts.
In this age of electronic communication, get back to basics with these 45+ Handmade Card Ideas: How to Make Greeting Cards. E-cards may be entertaining for a minute or two, but they’re easily deleted and soon forgotten. Handmade cards, on the other hand, are too gorgeous and personal to be thrown away so quickly.
At AllFreePaperCrafts, we have tons of great handmade card ideas for holidays, birthdays, and those occasions when you just want to say hello. Whether you’ve been making your own cards for years or you’re new to paper crafting, this collection of DIY greeting cards has something for everyone. Ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced, this round-up of projects is sure to challenge and entertain.
BONUS! Take a look at the video below to learn how to make an adorable birthday card using paper quilling techniques. It's so unique and clever but, most importantly, easy!
Table of Contents
How to Make Greeting Cards
1. Make or buy a blank single-fold card in your size of choice.
Standard sizes include:
A1 - 3.5" x 4.875"
A2 - 4.25" x 5.5"
4 Bar - 4.875" x 3.375"
A6 - 4.5" x 6.25"
A7 - 5" x 7"
A8 - 5 3/8 x 7 ¾
A9 - 5 1/2 x 8 ½
#10 - 3 7/8" x 9 1/4"
Biz/Business - 3.5" x 2"
Square - 5.5" x 5.5"
2. Plan out the front of your card.
Fold your card in half and determine if you want your DIY card to be horizontal or vertical.
Decide which materials you will need for your project.
Some common materials include:
- Scissors/straightedge, ruler, and adhesive
- Extra decorative paper, such as cardstock, scrapbook, or vellum
- Writing utensils, such as pens, markers, or colored pencils
- Stamps and ink pads
- Paper punches, die cuts, or stencils
- Embellishments, such as rhinestones, ribbon, glitter, buttons, or washi tape
Use stamps to create designs, determine your sentiment, or choose embellishments to start. With greeting cards, the occasion could be anything from “Hello” to “Thinking of You” to “Wish You Were Here,” and more, so consider that when coming up with your DIY greeting card design.
When planning your handmade card, you can draw up a mock-up with pencil and paper or set materials over the front of the card to compare sizes and shapes and see what would look best for the final product.
3. Design your base outside layer or background.
The first part of building your card should be to create the background on the front. This will be the first part your recipient sees and the most detailed.
Are you adding layers of paper or stamping, drawing, or stenciling a pattern on the front of your card? Do this first.
4. Design your second outside layer.
After creating your background layer, your next layer is usually reserved for your main image and sentiment. Adhere your picture, stamp your main image, or whatever is the focal point of your card.
5. Add finishing touches to the outside.
Add your final touches to the card, which usually includes embellishments like ribbon or buttons. You can add some dimension by using glue dots or 3D adhesive squares under your embellishments when appropriate. Let dry if needed.
6. Design the inside of your card.
Usually the inside of a card is not deeply detailed but you can add a layer of paper or some of your background pattern to make it more exciting. You will write your well wishes on the inside of the card.
Tips: Write out a draft of your message before writing it in the card so that you are prepared. If you make a mistake, you may be able to adhere a layer of scrapbook or cardstock over the writing you want to cover and start over on the new paper.
7. Finish your card.
Take a step back and decide if you need to make any changes. If everything looks good, then place your card in an envelope to send.
PLUS! Click on the picture to get a PDF version of How to Make Greeting Cards that you can save!
Do It Yourself: DIY Greeting Cards
Every once in a while, it's nice to be reminded that someone is thinking of you. These DIY card ideas are inspired by that simple fact. Send the music lover in your life a noteworthy greeting to let her know that you miss her.
Get creative with a tiled look and make a card that will no doubt sit on the recipient's dresser for a long time. If your friends prefer vintage over cutesy, send them French-inspired greeting card ideas that look like they came from a different era. You’ll feel good knowing that your card making brought a smile to someone's face.
Do you love the art of card making? Then you're in luck! Download our Gorgeous Paper Crafts: 18 Card Making Ideas, Scrapbook Layouts, and DIY Paper Flowers free eBook
Homemade Cards: Birthday Card Ideas
You’ve probably been to a birthday party where the guest of honor got the same card two or three times. Instead of showing up with a card that anyone could get, try one of these handmade birthday cards.
Birthdays tend to lose their excitement as we grow older, but you can revive the fun with our clever and cute birthday card ideas. For instance, you can learn how to make a paper airplane that doubles as a birthday greeting, or how to craft an adorable paper turtle for a belated birthday card.
For more great ideas, including homemade gifts, check out Free Printable Crafts: 50 Handmade Card Ideas, Scrapbook Layout Ideas, and More Paper Crafts
Thank You Note Ideas
Sometimes there is no way to repay the kindness of family and friends. However, you can show how much their help means to you with DIY thank you cards.
Our collection has something for everyone, whether you’re hoping to make a floral and feminine card, or a simple card with freehand painting. You can’t put a price on gratitude, and these thank you note ideas are absolutely priceless.
Take some of the work out of your crafting by using the ideas found in 16 Free Printables: Free Printable Greeting Cards and Other Printable Paper Crafts free eBook
What questions do you have about making cards?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- Spread Your Wings and Soar Butterfly Card
- Quilt Block Printable Mini Cards
- All You Need is Love Valentine Card
- What to Write in a Sympathy Card
- How to Make a 3D Card
- Gorgeous Paper Crafts free eBook
- Totally Cute Take Out Card
- Beautiful Sunflower Card
- Simply Stunning Watercolor Cards
- 14 Fancy Fold Cards
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Free Printable Thank You Greeting Card
- Monthly Journal Pages Free Printable
- Free Printable Lemonade Recipe Greeting Card
- Free Printable Farm Word Search For Kids
- Toilet Paper Roll Butterfly Craft For Kids
- Toilet Paper Tube Mermaid Craft For Kids
- Life Is Huge Free Printable Greeting Card
- Fun Printable Camping Bingo For Kid
- Free Printable Fish Themed Greeting Card
- Back To School Word Search For Kids
- 16 Free Printables: Free Printable Greeting Cards and Other Printable Paper Crafts
- Gorgeous Paper Crafts: 18 Card Making Ideas, Scrapbook Layouts, and DIY Paper Flowers
- How to Scrapbook and Craft With Embellishments: 13 Simple Paper Crafts
- Ideas for Valentine's Day: 12 Free Printable Valentine's Day Cards and Other Valentine's Day Crafts
- Paper Crafts for Kids: 10 Paper Toys, Printable Paper Dolls, and Other Craft Ideas