Gorgeous Paper Crafts: 18 Card Making Ideas, Scrapbook Layouts, and DIY Paper Flowers
How to Make a 3D Card: 23+ Card Making Ideas
Once you learn how to make cards, you will never need to buy again! Check out the bonus embellishments, too!
We are adding the craft to your Crafts.
The craft was added to your Crafts.
Do you know how to make a 3D card? 2D cards are easy to make, but 3D cards are a little trickier. Whether you want to make a DIY pop-up card or create DIY embellishments to give a flat card some texture, this collection, How to Make a 3D Card: 23+ Card Making Ideas will provide you with the inspiration to get started!
Take a look at these fantastic 3D card making ideas and 3D embellishments. Using various techniques, there's something for everyone. You'll never want to make another 2D card again after experiencing how fun these 3D cards are to make and how awesome a card can look.
PLUS! For visual learners, we have a video tutorial right below that features a gorgeous pop-up card that you can learn how to make by following along. This project can also be adapted for any occasion.
Table of Contents
How to Make a 3D Card
Learn how to make handmade 3D greeting cards by following along with this simple how-to tutorial from Stephenie Hamen for Tonic Studios.
Adhesive tape runner
Patterned paper (floral)
Self-Healing craft mat
1. Cut cardstock to 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" then fold down the middle. (images 1 & 2)
2. Cut an extra piece of cardstock to 5" x 1". (image 3)
3. Mark at 1" increments then fold. (images 4 & 5)
4. Adhere one of the folded sections to the bottom middle of the top portion of the inside of the card. (image 6)
*** If you are going to add in a fun patterned paper background, do this now or you will end up having to remove this later (image 16) to put it on when you are done.
5. Fold the rest of the piece to be a box, adhering the last panel to the first. (image 7)
6. Adhere the bottom of the cube to the top middle portion of the bottom half of the card. (images 8 & 9)
7. Cut a fun patterned paper square (approx. 2-1/2" x 2-1/2") and adhere to the front for the square. This will be the base to work from for the pop-up. (image 10)
8. Using your knife and craft mat, cut 4 flowers and 4 leaves from the floral patterned paper. (image 11)
9. Adhere 3 of the flowers to scraps of the cardstock. (image 12)
10. Adhere these to the back of the base, turning it into a vase (image 13) adding the leaves in as well.
11. Stamp a "hello" sentiment. (image 14)
12. Cut it with paper trimmer to look like a mini flag (image 15) then adhere to the vase.
13. Cut and insert patterned paper to write sentiment on.
14. Cut paper for the front panels (images 17 and 18) - layer and adhere.
15. Take the floral tools and add dimension to the remaining flower and leaves you had cut out. (image 19)
16. Adhere to the front. (image 20)
17. Admire and test out your finished DIY 3D card. (images 21, 22, & 23)
3D Card Making Ideas
From pop-up Christmas cards to floral cards and more, we have 3D card making ideas for any occasion! Use paper quilling ideas to make swirly designs on your next dimensional card, or follow easy cutting tutorials to make your cards pop open.
If you haven't hopped on the 3D cards trend, you've fallen behind! Catch up and be amazed at the results when you learn how to make a card that is amazingly dimensional.
Find more card making ideas in our printable collection of Gorgeous Paper Crafts: 18 Card Making Ideas, Scrapbook Layouts, and DIY Paper Flowers free eBook
3D Birthday Card Ideas
Looking for a card that will blow away the birthday boy or girl? Regardless of his or her preferences, you'll find a 3D birthday card template that's the perfect fit.
No need to be intimidated by these projects - these Hallmark-worthy cards are surprisingly easy paper projects!
PLUS! DIY Embellishments
Rather than crafting a 3D card, you can make 2D cards and add 3D embellishments! These DIY embellishments are perfect little projects because they're quick to make and can make any craft more dimensional.
Learning how to make 3d greeting cards is awesome, especially when you see how to add impressive embellishments. These projects are great to add to cards, but you can use them for scrapbooking and any other paper craft projects, too.
If you love these 3D card making ideas, you'll adore our collection of 14 Fancy Fold Cards
Have you ever made a 3D card? If so, how long does it usually take?
Let us know in the comments!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
If you love fancy fold cards, then you're in for a treat. Make the You Are Amazing Fancy Fold Card. This gorgeous handmade greeting… Continue reading: "You Are Amazing Fancy Fold Card"
- Super Awesome Group Thank You Card
- How to Make a 3D Card
- Pretty DIY Embossed Greeting Card
- Birds of a Feather Card
- What to Write in a Sympathy Card
- Adorable Friendship Cards
- Beautiful Butterfly DIY Shaker Card
- How to Make a Shaker Card + 5 DIY Shaker Cards
- Fancy Lattice Flower Card
- You Are Amazing Fancy Fold Card
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Free Printable Halloween Tags For Treat Bags
- Printable Rainy Day Coloring Page
- Christmas Craft For Kids – Rudolph Puppets
- Free Halloween Labels Printable
- Printable I Spy Sweets
- Printable Fall Coloring Pages
- Christmas Tree Letter Writing Mats
- How To Make A Fun Summer Scrapbook Layout
- Printable Halloween Word Search
- How To Make A Hexagon Paper Box
- 16 Free Printables: Free Printable Greeting Cards and Other Printable Paper Crafts
- Gorgeous Paper Crafts: 18 Card Making Ideas, Scrapbook Layouts, and DIY Paper Flowers
- How to Scrapbook and Craft With Embellishments: 13 Simple Paper Crafts
- Ideas for Valentine's Day: 12 Free Printable Valentine's Day Cards and Other Valentine's Day Crafts
- Paper Crafts for Kids: 10 Paper Toys, Printable Paper Dolls, and Other Craft Ideas