Gorgeous Paper Crafts: 18 Card Making Ideas, Scrapbook Layouts, and DIY Paper Flowers
- see all comments
"The PDF can now be found at https//sites.google.com/site/netroiduniverse/ho == me/wave-3"
"Hi Everyone! The downloads have moved around a bit at our site. For this model please go to https//sites.google.com/site/netroiduniverse/ho == me/wave-2"
"Unfortunately the background color will make the ink disappear. Why can't it be a white background?"
How to Make a 3D Card: 23+ Card Making Ideas
Once you learn how to make cards, you will never need to buy again! Check out the bonus embellishments, too!
We are adding the craft to your Crafts.
The craft was added to your Crafts.
Click here to view your Crafts.
Do you know how to make a 3D card? 2D cards are easy to make, but 3D cards are a little trickier. Whether you want to make a DIY pop-up card or create DIY embellishments to give a flat card some texture, this collection, How to Make a 3D Card: 23+ Card Making Ideas will provide you with the inspiration to get started!
Take a look at these fantastic 3D card making ideas and 3D embellishments. Using various techniques, there's something for everyone. You'll never want to make another 2D card again after experiencing how fun these 3D cards are to make and how awesome a card can look.
PLUS! For visual learners, we have a video tutorial right below that features a gorgeous pop-up card that you can learn how to make by following along. This project can also be adapted for any occasion.
Table of Contents
How to Make a 3D Card
Learn how to make handmade 3D greeting cards by following along with this simple how-to tutorial from Stephenie Hamen for Tonic Studios.
Adhesive tape runner
Patterned paper (floral)
Self-Healing craft mat
1. Cut cardstock to 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" then fold down the middle. (images 1 & 2)
2. Cut an extra piece of cardstock to 5" x 1". (image 3)
3. Mark at 1" increments then fold. (images 4 & 5)
4. Adhere one of the folded sections to the bottom middle of the top portion of the inside of the card. (image 6)
*** If you are going to add in a fun patterned paper background, do this now or you will end up having to remove this later (image 16) to put it on when you are done.
5. Fold the rest of the piece to be a box, adhering the last panel to the first. (image 7)
6. Adhere the bottom of the cube to the top middle portion of the bottom half of the card. (images 8 & 9)
7. Cut a fun patterned paper square (approx. 2-1/2" x 2-1/2") and adhere to the front for the square. This will be the base to work from for the pop-up. (image 10)
8. Using your knife and craft mat, cut 4 flowers and 4 leaves from the floral patterned paper. (image 11)
9. Adhere 3 of the flowers to scraps of the cardstock. (image 12)
10. Adhere these to the back of the base, turning it into a vase (image 13) adding the leaves in as well.
11. Stamp a "hello" sentiment. (image 14)
12. Cut it with paper trimmer to look like a mini flag (image 15) then adhere to the vase.
13. Cut and insert patterned paper to write sentiment on.
14. Cut paper for the front panels (images 17 and 18) - layer and adhere.
15. Take the floral tools and add dimension to the remaining flower and leaves you had cut out. (image 19)
16. Adhere to the front. (image 20)
17. Admire and test out your finished DIY 3D card. (images 21, 22, & 23)
3D Card Making Ideas
From pop-up Christmas cards to floral cards and more, we have 3D card making ideas for any occasion! Use paper quilling ideas to make swirly designs on your next dimensional card, or follow easy cutting tutorials to make your cards pop open.
If you haven't hopped on the 3D cards trend, you've fallen behind! Catch up and be amazed at the results when you learn how to make a card that is amazingly dimensional.
Find more card making ideas in our printable collection of Gorgeous Paper Crafts: 18 Card Making Ideas, Scrapbook Layouts, and DIY Paper Flowers free eBook
3D Birthday Card Ideas
Looking for a card that will blow away the birthday boy or girl? Regardless of his or her preferences, you'll find a 3D birthday card template that's the perfect fit.
No need to be intimidated by these projects - these Hallmark-worthy cards are surprisingly easy paper projects!
PLUS! DIY Embellishments
Rather than crafting a 3D card, you can make 2D cards and add 3D embellishments! These DIY embellishments are perfect little projects because they're quick to make and can make any craft more dimensional.
Learning how to make 3d greeting cards is awesome, especially when you see how to add impressive embellishments. These projects are great to add to cards, but you can use them for scrapbooking and any other paper craft projects, too.
If you love these 3D card making ideas, you'll adore our collection of 14 Fancy Fold Cards
Have you ever made a 3D card? If so, how long does it usually take?
Let us know in the comments!
Read NextQuilt Block Printable Mini Cards
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Aug 08, 2018
There are so many great ideas for 3D cards here! I'll never have to visit the card aisle again!!
Daughter of Light
Jun 18, 2018
3D cards are terrific! They are sooooo versatile and free spirited. They can be given for many different occasions. I usually have the materials already in my stash and I love that they can be tailored to the person you're giving them to without much difficulty. They are very easy to make up ahead of time and have on hand when a card giving occasion comes up unexpectedly. I find this especially true of floral ones like the one here!
Aug 22, 2017
I love this a href="http//popupcard.net"3d cards/a too much. Really lovely cards . I am sure my child will love them.
Jun 19, 2017
It often takes me awhile to come up with an idea or design. Once I have something in mind, and have pulled out all my supplies, I make several cards. It can take several hours to make one card, and not much longer to make several. Occasionally I pull out just paints, markers, pencils, etc., and just make background papers!
May 23, 2017
Love the addition of the video tutorial since I'm a visual learner!
Jul 03, 2016
I LOVE making 3D Cards! They usually take more time to make, but the recipients are always so impressed and surprised when they open them. I think my favorites are the Cards in a Box. I made a batch of bases, so when I want to make one, all I have to do is decorate it. I also like stair step cards!
susanbaker2017 599 4095
Jun 13, 2016
I always make a prototype using cheap Walmart cardstock before making a 3-D card. That usually takes about 20 minutes, or so. The actual card takes much longer because it has to be decorated, maybe several hours longer. I love the look of 3-D cards!!!
michellefausterman n 6989548
Jun 12, 2016
it takes me 2 hours, more or less.
Jun 11, 2016
It takes me at least 2 hours to make a 3-D card. I add my own flare. Thanks for the inspiration and for the opportunity to win a gift.
Jun 08, 2016
I rarely make my own cards I have not tried to make a 3-D one but after reading, I might attempt to start trying! I enjoy crafts even though I am disabled with severe rheumatoid arthritis. On good days, I enjoy it!
karawaldner 306086 2
Jun 08, 2016
I don't usually make 3D cards except for very special occasions for a special person, but when I do it usually takes me a couple of hours sometimes even a whole day.
Jun 08, 2016
They usually take me just about two hours, which is why I make them for very special occasions.
MN crafter in TX
Jun 07, 2016
I don't generally make 3D cards as I mail most of mine, but do like pop ups so will have to check these out.
Jun 07, 2016
I don't own any of the fancy card making equipment, but I have made free hand flower templates of varying sizes, shapes, colors and then stacked them on a piece of cardstock or construction paper with a brad through the center. I made approx. 10 cards and envelopes with these 3-d flowers on them and it took about 2 hours. My biggest problem was stuffing the envelopes without crushing the flowers.
Jun 07, 2016
I have never triedmaking a 3-D card, but these are amazing! Great giveaway -thanks
Jun 06, 2016
I only made one once. It was pretty difficult and I was not happy with the results. It took several hours - I would say 4-5. Back then, we didn't have some of the nifty tools and things available to us these days.
Jun 06, 2016
I do love 3d cards they have so much more wow factor. I spend usually about an hour on them depending on the complexity.
Jun 14, 2016
Congratulations, you are the winner of the comment contest. Expect an email soon! - Krista, editor, AllFreePaperCrafts
nusbaumfamily 3661 673
Jun 06, 2016
It takes me at least 2 hours to make a 3-D card because it is a work in progress. I add my own flare. Thanks for the inspiration and for the opportunity to win a mystery gift.
Jun 06, 2016
I love to make 3-D cards! It is my gift to the recipient. It will usually take me a couple of hours (at least) to make a 3-D card. I am a perfectionist! I use pop-dots, paper quilling, paper flowers and layered die-cuts to make my 3-D cards. I would be SO excited to win! I don't know how to include a photo of the 3-D cards I have made. I am "old school" and am still learning "modern technology".
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Quilled Ladybug DIY Embellishment
Make a cute little paper ladybug with this Quilled Ladybug DIY Embellishment tutorial. You can use quilling art like this quilled… Continue reading: "Quilled Ladybug DIY Embellishment"
- Quilt Block Printable Mini Cards
- Totally Cute Take Out Card
- Gold Foil DIY Greeting Cards
- 5 Minute Monogrammed Thank You Notes
- Easy Like Sunday Morning Homemade Cards
- How to Make a 3D Card
- Adorable Friendship Cards
- Pretty Five-Minute Card
- Super Star Printable Shaker Card
- A Notecard DIY That Will Knock Your Socks Off
Something worth saving?
- SAVE your favorite projects
- ADD personal reminder notes
- QUICKLY reference your projects
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Free Printable April Coloring Pages
- Printable Candy Dice Game For Easter
- Printable Reward Chart For Kids
- Cute Paper Plate Chick Craft For Kids
- Free Printable Earth Day Scavenger Hunt For Kids
- Up In The Garden Down In The Dirt Printables
- Printable Ice Cream Cone Wrappers
- Printable Lemonade Stand Kit
- Diy Minecraft Tnt
- Power Rangers Easter Eggs
- 16 Free Printables: Free Printable Greeting Cards and Other Printable Paper Crafts
- Gorgeous Paper Crafts: 18 Card Making Ideas, Scrapbook Layouts, and DIY Paper Flowers
- How to Scrapbook and Craft With Embellishments: 13 Simple Paper Crafts
- Ideas for Valentine's Day: 12 Free Printable Valentine's Day Cards and Other Valentine's Day Crafts
- Paper Crafts for Kids: 10 Paper Toys, Printable Paper Dolls, and Other Craft Ideas